Fake Kylie Jenner lip kit left teen struggling to breathe:
A teen was left struggling to breathe and could not feel the bottom of her face after applying a fake Kylie Jenner lip kit.
Rachael McLaughlin, 18, has warned of the hazards of purchasing the lip plumping sets online after she wound up in A&E.
Her older sister Bronagh said the young girl cut short her night out at friends after she starts to feel unwell on Friday.
She said Rachael woke on Saturday morning at her Belfast home to find her lips and face swollen and her throat closing up.
The household were so worried that they took Rachael straight to A&E in Belfast Royal Victoria Hospital
“It was the scariest experience ever,” Rachael told Belfast Live.
“I lost all feeling round the bottom of my face and my lips continued to grow bigger from when I first saw them.
“I couldn’t even look at myself and when others looked at me they said I looked like a completely different person.
“It’s not an experience I would ever wish on anyone. The reason I went to the hospital was because I couldn’t breathe.
“My blood pressure was very high as well.
“Today has been the first day I have actually been able to leave my house and I’ve only left because the swelling went down.
“They (her lips) are still cut and still extremely sore but nowhere near as bad as they were.”
Rachael’s older sister Bronagh said they are speaking out to warn others not to buy fake products online – products she said could contain anything from toxins to superglue.
She also said the Facebook site on which the fake £3 Kylie lip kit was bought has since disappeared, so buyers have nowhere to turn if something does go wrong.
“She’s just really upset about it. Her lips are completely gooey and blistering. This is like the worst thing in the world for her, she’s completely devastated,” Bronagh explained.
“On Saturday night her voice was like a man’s
“My aunt is a nurse and she said said if she was young and didn’t have such a strong immune system you wouldn’t know what would have happened.
“We didn’t know at the time it was the lip kit,” she explained.
“We took her to the Royal on Saturday morning and they took her in straight away and got her seen to as soon as possible. They gave her extremely strong antibiotic cream for her lips and some antihystemines.”
“This could have ended up with a fatality if not treated as soon as it was, this didn’t just affect the lips but also the whole face and closed over the back of her throat,” she added.
A spokesperson for the Belfast Trust said: “Whilst we cannot comment on individual cases we urge everyone to be vigilant in using fake lip kits as some of the contents may lead to a reaction of varying severity.”