Russell Brand quizzed by Met Police over sex offense allegations
Russell Brand is under investigation by the Metropolitan Police in connection with accusations of historical sex offenses. The Sunday Times, the Times, and Channel 4’s Dispatches conducted an inquiry, revealing claims of rape, sexual assaults, and emotional abuse against the British comedian and actor.
Despite Brand’s previous denials, he was questioned by the police in south London on November 16.
The Metropolitan Police confirmed that a man in his 40s attended a police station and was interviewed under caution regarding three non-recent sexual offenses.
The investigation is ongoing, and the Metropolitan Police announced in September that they would look into allegations of non-recent sexual offenses following multiple complaints.
They encouraged anyone who believed they might be a victim to come forward, regardless of how long ago the incidents occurred.
Earlier that month, the Times, Sunday Times and Channel 4’s Dispatches program said four women had accused Brand, 48, of sexual offenses, including a rape, alleged to have taken place between 2006 and 2013.
The investigation claimed he had also behaved inappropriately at work, and displayed predatory and controlling behaviour.
During that time, Brand held several jobs, including at Channel 4 and BBC Radio 2.
The BBC has approached Mr Brand for comment but has not yet heard back.
He has previously denied those claims and said his relationships have “always” been consensual.
The day before the investigation was published online in September, Brand shared a video on social media.
In it, he denied “serious criminal allegations” he said were to be made against him, and said his relationships “were absolutely, always consensual”.
Following the allegations of “non-recent” sexual offenses reported to the Met later that month, Brand put out another video in which he was critical of the mainstream media but did not directly address the claims against him.