Tennis star Nick Kyrgios admits assaulting ex girlfriend in act of “stupidity” but avoids conviction
Nick Kyrgios, a tennis star, has pleaded guilty for assaulting his girlfriend in Australia.
The Canberra magistrate did not record a case against the 27-year old tennis star. He described the common assault as an act of “stupidity” or “frustration”, but it was not premeditated.
Magistrate Jane Campbell dismissed the offense on the grounds that it was not serious enough to be considered a common assault. The Australian Capital Territory (ACT), Magistrates Court was told by a psychologist that Kyrgios had experienced severe depression, suicidal ideastion and insomnia in the past, but that his mental health has improved.
The 2022 Wimbledon runner up had pushed his ex-girlfriend to the ground in a fight in January 2021.
On Friday February 3, Kyrgios’ psychologist, Sam Borenstein, said in a written report and testimony by phone the tennis star had suffered major depressive episodes in the past and had used alcohol and drugs to cope.
His mental health had led to impulsive and reckless behaviour.
Mr. Borenstein added that the 27-year-old’s recent knee injury had resulted in mild to moderate symptoms of depression, but his mental health was improving.
Lawyers for Kyrgios had previously sought to have the assault charge stemming from events two years ago dismissed on mental health grounds but the application was unsuccessful.
In February last year, Kyrgios opened up about his performance at the 2019 Australian Open, saying what appeared to be a positive time in his life had been “one of my darkest periods”.
“I was lonely, depressed, negative, abusing alcohol, drugs, pushed away family and friends,” he wrote on Instagram. “I felt as if I couldn’t talk or trust anyone. This was a result of not opening up and refusing to lean on my loved ones and simply just push myself little by little to be positive.”